celebrating the adventures, tribulations, and career perspectives that come with spending your "me" years far from home

Monday, March 9, 2009

Advice from Career Realism: Don't Go Away Without Thinking About Career First

Interesting advice from Career Realism, part of a Top 10 list entitled "Can You Handle The Truth?":

TIP #3: DON’T road trip, backpack or ‘take a year off’ without thinking about your career first. Those who delay to play, often pay!

As graduation approaches, many students feel the pressure of career and think, “I’ve done what’s expected of me and now I deserve to do something for myself.” However, rewarding yourself without at least organizing your plans for career before you go can make embarking on a job search when you return more difficult. Here are some stats to consider: Landing an entry-level job after school (from start to finish) averages at least two months. The process of finding the job opportunity, going on the interviews, receiving and accepting the job offer, and then starting the job, all take time. It is easier to manage this process when you are close to resources (i.e. campus career center) and a network of peers who are in the midst of finding work too. All too often, college grads put off their career homework until after they’re done having fun. They return home and suddenly find themselves alone and without the support of their friends and school to help them. Add in the potential pressure of parents over your shoulder, inquiring about your progress, and looking for a job can become very overwhelming. I once had an angry father call me to inquire about my services for his son because, in his own words, “My son just got back from a 7-month road trip of fun only for me to find out he has no idea of what he wants to do or how to find a job. What did I spent $80K on a college education for?!?!” This father-son relationship was quite strained, and much of my time coaching this new college grad was spent trying to get him to stop beating himself up for not taking responsibility for his future. Don’t get stuck in this position. You must consider the consequences of your actions.

I highly recommend reading the rest of the list. My take: I think it's important to approach this sort of trip as part of your "career story" and be sure to learn something that will give people reasons to hire you. I think this can take many forms, such as communication abilities, language skills, and quick learning, and it's important to weave them together in a compelling way.

When I came home after 18 months in China I had major reverse culture shock, the kind that had me missing China's crowds so much that I would go to the supermarket with nothing to buy! But I had done several kinds of work while overseas (teaching, writing, planning, consulting) that were relevant to working in the US. I also ended up working for someone who said that moving to France after college was the best decision she ever made.

P.S. Delaying the Real World describes this transition in more detail.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leslie,

    Thanks so much for referencing this point on the 10 tips list. I am all for a trip abroad (spent a year in France myself), but you make the exact point about how unexpected the reverse culture shock is. Having the career story pulled together and a game plan for marketing it can help cope too!

    Looking forward to seeing more of your posts, and please let us know if you'd like to guest post on CAREEREALISM.com As graduation season approaches, an article on this choice would be great!

    Sincerely,

    JT
    Founder, Careerealism.com

    ReplyDelete